Saturday, February 28, 2015

An Influential Event

One significant event in my life was when I decided to join my junior college’s canoeing team. Being one of the toughest co-curriculum activities (CCA) in school, it was expected that trainings were frequent and demanding. It was with the juggling of grades and trainings, and my mother’s relentless disapproval of my CCA choice that I strengthened my tenacity and learned how to stand up for my beliefs.

During school terms, we had a minimum of 4 trainings per week. Each training session lasted at least five hours.  After a long school day and training, it was difficult to concentrate on our school works. However, that was not an excuse I could give to my teachers for not finishing their assignments. It was through such environment that I forced myself to grow up and learned to stop finding excuses for myself.

My mother did not make this journey any easier. She was very against my decision to join canoeing due to her perception that girls should be in arts related CCAs. The fact that I got darker and more muscular did not go well with her either. Even though it was only a few months before the National Schools Canoeing Champion, she requested to my teacher-in-charge to drop me from the team. Regardless of her persistence, I stand firm in my belief that canoeing has led me to become a better person and reasoned with her instead of just throwing a tantrum. I was able to make responsible decisions for myself instead of succumbing to my parents’ pressure.

Despite the difficulties faced during my canoeing journey, it was a fulfilling one that shaped me into who I am today.

[279 words]

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Shu ying,

    Im proud of you. Must have been difficult to stand for what you believe in, against all the odds, especially with someone as close as your mum. I can imagine how helpless it must have been. But kudos for persevering !

    Im sure that you have definitely gain alot from your experience with the canoe team. Physically, I'm sure you came out fitter. But more importantly, the 'soft-skills' that you have learnt such as time management, discipline, tenacity. These are the skills that would propel you to greater heights in the future. More importantly, the courage to stand for what you believe in, is important to self- determination and happiness.

    At the end of the day, there really isn't any need to prove to your mum or anybody per se that your decision is right, as long as deep down inside of you, you have learnt and grown as an individual. But on a side note, Im sure that your mother and friends would been able to see it, though they do not say it.

    Personally, Im always impressed by your strong-will when it comes to sports and academics. Perhaps this was inculcated in your through your 'tough times' back in junior college.

    Cheers,
    Boon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post! We can see the same tenacity described here in your effort to do well in ES1102. I wonder if your mom's view has changed now that you are at NUS.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete